Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

US Census Records – Learn how to search the US Census, 1790-1940, to find information about your ancestor

Haggard Wed Jun 21 9:30-11am

How to Join the DAR – Learn what it takes to become a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Get help researching your Revolutionary War ancestor

Haggard Sat Jun 24 10am-1pm

 

Brick Walls – Bring your “brick wall” & let us help you break it down

Haggard Wed Jul 19 9:30am-12pm

DNA for Beginners – Learn the basics of using DNA testing to help with genealogy research

Haggard Thu Aug 24 9:30-11am

Legacy Research –  Join the Legacy Users Group for information sharing, research tips, webinars and one-on-one help

Haggard Tuesdays 1:30-5pm Jun 27 ● Jul 25 ● Aug 22

Read Full Post »

Genealogy Graphic_Webinar Wednesday_HR

The Genealogy Center is hosting webinars on the first Wednesday of each month this summer.

June 7, 1-2pm – US Church Records – Learn how to research US church records to find information about your ancestors.

July 5, 1-3:30pm – British Resources – Learn about British records & how to access them on Ancestry & FamilySearch.

August 2, 1-3:30pm – Irish Church Records – Find out what you can learn through Catholic & Protestant church records on FamilySearch.

Read Full Post »

  • Family Names – How Our Surnames Came to America
  • Complete Surname Index of T.V.A. Grave Removals
  • German – American Names
  • The West Point Atlas of American Wars Vol. 1 1689-1900, Vol. 2 1900-1953
  • Marriage Notices from Steuben County, New York Newspapers 1797-1884
  • Texas Quilts, Texas Women
  • Gentle Giants – Women Writers in Texas
  • Texas Stories – Tales of the Lone Star State
  • State of Minds – Texas Culture & Its Discontents
  • Literary Austin
  • Talking With Texas Writers – Twelve Interviews
  • Texas in Poetry 2
  • The Quilters – Women and Domestic Art
  • Lone Stars – A Legacy of Quilts Vol. 1836-1986 Vol. 1 & 2
  • Exploration in Texas – Ancient & Otherwise with Thoughts on the Nature of Evidence
  • Black Cowboys of Texas
  • Texas – An Album of History from Stephen Austin to Spindletop, Profusely Illustrated with Over 200 Rare Photographs
  • The Portable Handbook of Texas
  • Alex Sweet’s Texas – The Lighter Side of Lone Star History
  • Plantation Life in Texas
  • The Young Cemetery of Collin County, Texas
  • Signers of the Declaration of Independence – A Biographical and Genealogical Reference
  • A Survey of the Roads of the United States of America – 1789
  • Genealogical Jargon for Family Historians
  • The Dictionary of Irish Family Names
  • Orange County (CA) – Views of the Past & Present
  • Images of America – San Diego’s (CA) Gaslamp Quarter
  • Georgia’s Last Frontier – The Development of Carroll County
  • Clinton (IA) Once Upon a Time from 1855-2005 Vol. 2
  • Kentucky Records – Early Wills and Marriages, Old Bible Records and Tombstone Inscriptions
  • Mississippi as a Province, Territory, and State with Biographical Notices of Eminent Citizens
  • Southwest Missouri State University Alumni Directory 1994
  • Zion in the Fields (Nebraska)
  • Order of First Families of North Carolina Ancestor Biographies Vol. 1 “The First Two Hundred”
  • Cowboys, Outlaws and Peace Officers (Osage County, OK)
  • Images of America – Kennywood (PA)
  • History of South Carolina from its First Settlement in1670 to the Year 1808 Vols. 1 & 2
  • The Annals of Newberry (SC)
  • The Daughters – A Dozen Decades of DRT (TX)
  • The Handbook of Texas
  • Views in Texas, 1895-96
  • Italian Experience in Texas
  • Dallas (TX) City of Dreams
  • Images of America – Historic Dallas (TX) Parks
  • Images of America – Marfa (TX)
  • Occupied Winchester 1861-1865 (VA)
  • Some Worthy Lives – Mini-Biographies Winchester and Frederick County (VA)
  • John Handley and The Handley Bequests to Winchester, Virginia
  • What I Know About Winchester – Recollections of William Greenway Russell 1800-1891
  • Images of America – Sweetwater County (WY)
  • The Baskins-Baskin Family – Pennsylvania – Virginia – South Carolina
  • History and Genealogy of the Harlan Family
  • This Our Heritage – The Ancestral History of Charles and Cora (Beard) Ingram
  • The Family Keys
  • Some Mackey Settlers Along the Mason-Dixon Line in Cecil County, Maryland and Chester County, Pennsylvania and Their Descendants
  • Some Colonial Dames of Royal Descent
  • Royalty for Commoners – The Complete Known Lineage of John of Gaunt, Son of Edward III, King of England, and Queen Philippa

Read Full Post »

Gladys Harrington and the Federation of Church Women of Plano began a library in 1955. It was based on donations of books and money. May 24, 1965 the City Council passed an ordinance to create the Municipal Library and appoint a Board of Trustees.

The first library was opened June 2, 1969 and named Gladys Harrington Public Library. The library began with 15,033 volumes which includes books, magazines, and whatever else they checked out at that time. Today, we have over 767,000 items in the 5 libraries, Municipal Reference Library, and the Genealogy Center – books, audios, DVDs, periodicals, eBooks, kits of all kinds, reference, local history, and more. This is just the items we have. We also offer many services – all kinds of classes and programs for all ages, 3D printing, Book a Librarian, Book Scanner, Research assistance, Computer Skills, Digital Creation Spaces, eLibrary, Foreign Language, Genealogy, Interlibrary Loan, Notary, WiFi, Rent a Room, and the list goes on.

Schimelpfenig Library opened May 25, 1980. On May 1, 1989 the Haggard Library opened. August 17, 1998 Davis Library opened and April 1, 2001 was the Parr Library. The Municipal Reference Library opened in the Municipal City Hall in July of 1991. The Genealogy Center moved from the Harrington Library to the Haggard Library in January 2008. Come visit one of the libraries today or checkout our ENGAGE brochure online to see what we are offering. Summer Reading and programs are just around the corner.

 

Read Full Post »

Plano C of C002aThe completion of Highway 75 brought many changes to Plano. Highway 75 connected McKinney to Dallas and included Plano. New subdivisions were being built near Plano High School now Williams High School. People from Dallas wanted to move to a quieter area to live and picked Plano. Most of the streets were paved in 1925. 15th Ave. was widened in 1959 for a smooth flow of traffic to get to 75. The first zoning ordinances began in August 1956 to help with the haphazard placement of businesses and residences. New boundaries were created for appropriate land uses.

The city marshal was the only law enforcement until 1957 when the Police Department was organized. The mayor was still the recorder of citations to traffic violators and misdemeanor cases. He would receive a portion of the fines he assessed. In 1959, Mayor David McCall, Jr. saw that this was an obsolete system and created an ordinance creating the position of the first corporation court judge. Attorney Byron Schaff was the first judge and paid a salary. In 1961, the home rule City Charter was adopted. This made Plano on par with other major cities in Texas.

The City of Plano population in 1870 was 155. Between 1870 and 1950, it fluctuated from 1000 to 2000. People moved into and out of Plano during this time. The population began to increase from the 1960s once Highway 75 was built. In 1960 the population was 3,695 and was known as the fastest growing city of Collin County. By 1970, the population had increased 384% from 1960 to 17,872. There was another 304% growth over the next 10 years to 72,331 in 1980. By the year 2000 the population was 222,030. During the 1960s and 1970s the city council and school board were working very hard to keep up with the demands for school buildings, roads, water and sewers, and so much more. New businesses were moving into the area. This growth caused the boundaries of Plano to grow from the east side of 75 to the west and further north and south.

The Genealogy Center has many documents, books, and photographs to give you an idea of the growth and life in Plano and Collin County. Be sure to visit the Haggard Library and come downstairs to see the Genealogy Center. Many items can be viewed online at Collin County Images, http://glhtadigital.contentdm.oclc.org/.

Read Full Post »

In January 1923 the work of the city is divided into – city marshal, city engineer, and commissioner of streets, water and sewerage. City Marshal makes $50 per month, he is the peace officer and assesses and collects city taxes. City Engineer is paid $200 a month, he takes care of the water supply. The Commissioner of Streets, Water, and Sewerage is paid $100 per month, he drags the streets as needed, repairs bridges and culverts, check for water leaks, reads meters, looks after sewers, and bills and collects them. The City Engineer and Commissioner were employed by the city and could be removed by them if they failed to do their jobs.

In 1931 the city was in excellent financial condition. Mayor J. T. Horn recommended a raise for the aldermen to $60 and the mayor $144 per year. The city needed more water. A second well was drilled at a cost of $7,500.

Tamales

A group of boys in the late 1920’s known as the Twenty Tough Tamales or T. T. T.’s were well known. The Tamales did many kind deeds in secret so as not to blow their tough image. They were never destructive just mischievous. A stop sign was erected during Mayor J. T. Horn’s terms. He instructed the City Marshal to “nab” people running it. The Marshal tried to catch the T.T.T.s running the stop sign. But he never could so he tried bringing them to court. They couldn’t prove anything.

Not long after this, Mayor Horn went to open his store and found a farm wagon on the metal awning of his store. He had to dismantle it to get it down. He couldn’t prove it was the Tamales although everyone suspected them. They were all in school that morning but did look sleepy.

A. R. Schell (Alex) Schell Jr. - pic (3)

The city’s next mayor was Alex Schell, Jr. He was mayor from April 5, 1932 to April 1948. He did many things for the city. “New water mains were laid, a disposal plant was built, he appointed the first Planning and Zoning Commission, he and City Council hired the first professional property appraisers for tax purposes, the first industry came to Plano, and he was instrumental in the development and acquisition of Lavon Reservoir as the source of water for Plano.”

Mr. Schell continued to work on Lavon Reservoir project. In 1951 the North Texas Municipal Water District was organized and he served on the board from 1951-1964. Plano began getting its water from Lavon in 1957. Mr. Alex Schell, Jr. was elected the first Outstanding Citizen by the Chamber of Commerce.

Next week we’ll look at the completion of Highway 75 and the changes that brought to Plano. If you want to learn more about the city council, mayors, and aldermen, check out the Plano, Texas Early Years found at the Plano Public Libraries to buy or checkout.

Read Full Post »

The first bond issue for the City of Plano was in July 1891. It was to raise $7,000 for school building improvements. At this time the city was in charge of the schools in Plano. The mayor and aldermen were the board of directors of the school. One of the rules for the students – the playground was set up to be separate for the boys and girls. They were not allowed to communicate with each other unless the superintendent gave permission.

In 1892 the streets needed to be repaired. An ordinance was passed that those owing fines and could not pay them would work on repairing the streets. In 1893 the council was trying to pass ordinances to control how the businesses and buildings in downtown were built to avoid any more fires. This was probably the first of the building and zoning codes of Plano. The Plano Fire Department was formed in March 1894. In June 1895 you could be fined $100 for riding a bicycle or tricycle on the public sidewalks.

Plano’s first true water supply came from a small lake created by damming up Spring Creek in June 1897. The first electric plant and lights were begun in May 1899. In January 1900, the Southwestern Telegraph and Telephone Company constructed poles and wires in Plano. In September 1901, the office of the scavenger was created. He cleaned the closets (outhouses) in the city both residences and businesses.  He also kept the calaboose clean. He was paid $.35 for residences and $.50 for hotels, businesses and such. I think this would be the worst job ever.

April 7, 1908 J. M. Willis was the mayor. In 1909 the Interurban electric car could only go 8 mph within the city and had to stop every 4 blocks to pick-up passengers. The City began collecting trash from residences in 1909. Also in 1909 a sewage system was started. One of my favorite ordinances to find was the speed limit was set for 7 mph for automobiles. Then in 1910 it was “modernized” to 8 mph. A person riding or driving a horse still had the right of way. All automobiles had to have a bell and a lighted lamp on front and back of the car.

April 2, 1912 J. D. Harris becomes the mayor. In 1914 the city was in a crisis and had to borrow $150 to pay some bills. It would be repaid from first taxes collected. April 1914 R. H. Crawford was mayor; then April 30, 1915 J. D. Cottrell; April 1916 was J. R. Dickerson; April 4, 1922 G. E. Carpenter; and April 8. 1924 J. T. Horn was mayor for 8 years.

Come back next week to see what happens to J. T. Horn and how the City Council and Plano faired after its first 50 years.

 

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »