Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for May 18th, 2017

Gladys Harrington and the Federation of Church Women of Plano began a library in 1955. It was based on donations of books and money. May 24, 1965 the City Council passed an ordinance to create the Municipal Library and appoint a Board of Trustees.

The first library was opened June 2, 1969 and named Gladys Harrington Public Library. The library began with 15,033 volumes which includes books, magazines, and whatever else they checked out at that time. Today, we have over 767,000 items in the 5 libraries, Municipal Reference Library, and the Genealogy Center – books, audios, DVDs, periodicals, eBooks, kits of all kinds, reference, local history, and more. This is just the items we have. We also offer many services – all kinds of classes and programs for all ages, 3D printing, Book a Librarian, Book Scanner, Research assistance, Computer Skills, Digital Creation Spaces, eLibrary, Foreign Language, Genealogy, Interlibrary Loan, Notary, WiFi, Rent a Room, and the list goes on.

Schimelpfenig Library opened May 25, 1980. On May 1, 1989 the Haggard Library opened. August 17, 1998 Davis Library opened and April 1, 2001 was the Parr Library. The Municipal Reference Library opened in the Municipal City Hall in July of 1991. The Genealogy Center moved from the Harrington Library to the Haggard Library in January 2008. Come visit one of the libraries today or checkout our ENGAGE brochure online to see what we are offering. Summer Reading and programs are just around the corner.

 

Read Full Post »